Best Practices in Team-Based Care Meeting Showcases Nurse Care Manager G-Learn Capstone Presentations
Over the last twelve weeks, CTC-RI with funding from UnitedHealthcare and RIDOH, offered sixteen nurse care managers and care coordinators the opportunity to complete a standardized evidence-based training program where they learned and applied key patient-centered medical home care management concepts within their primary care practice settings. In January, around thirty attendees joined our Best Practices in Team-Based Care meeting which highlighted our nurse care managers (NCMs) who presented their capstone presentations and demonstrated how they have successfully applied their learning in a patient situation. During this meeting, we heard from the following eight nurse care managers:
- Danielle Piacente, RN, BSN, Brown Medicine Division of Kidney Disease and Hypertension
- Leslie Musotic, RN, MSN, CDOE, Rhode Island Primary Care Physicians Corporation
- Catherine Berndtson, RN, Brown Medicine
- Varinia Apostolou, RN, East Bay Community Health Center
- Natasha Henderson, RN, East Bay Community Health Center
- Megan Wood, RN, Lifespan Physician Group Primary Care Newport
- Korie Medeiros, NCM, Medical Associates of Rhode Island
- Sherrell Parker, RN, BSN Coastal Medical Lifespan
The presentations spoke to a variety of complex patient conditions and needs that the NCM helped address including uncontrolled chronic kidney disease, diabetes, substance use disorder, and social determinants of health that impact health outcomes including homelessness, food insecurity, lack of transportation and social support.
Many thanks to the faculty who supported the learners including: Carol Falcone, MSN, RN, Nurse Care Manager, East Bay Community Action Program; Kateri Buerman, RN, BSN, Co-Founder, Four Hearts Foundation & Adjunct Professor, Rhode Island College; Karolyn (Kay) McKay RN, CDOE CVDOE, Nurse Care Manager-Geriatrics, Brown Medicine; and Jayne Daylor RN, MS, RI Department of Health.